The Victorian Era Meets Buck Rogers!
This Saturday, July 19th, the first ever Steampunk Tavern Stroll will take place along the California Ave area between downtown and midtown, bringing Nevada’s history together with a cool sci-fi fantasy genre called Steampunk! What’s that, you ask? Wikipedia describes it as such:
Steampunk is a sub-genre of science fiction that typically features steam-powered machinery, especially in a setting inspired by industrialized Western civilization during the 19th century. Steampunk works are often set in an alternative history of the 19th century’s British Victorian era or American “Wild West”, in a post-apocalyptic future during which steam power has regained mainstream use, or in a fantasy world that similarly employs steam power.
Basically, if you check out pictures of steampunk style on the web, you’ll find a lot of old-timey fashion mixed with stuff like goggles, top hats, corsets and other fun stuff! Our costume consultants at Junkee Fashion Exchange, Melting Pot World Emporium and Prism Magic have plenty of stuff to deck you out and you can get an awesome Steampunk Stroll Mug while you’re there! (we’re using those awesome mugs instead of cups for this one!
A New Kind of Crawl… er, Stroll
This year is the first ever Steampunk Tavern Stroll and it’s a beginning of a new kind of event from Let’s Do Things, the organizers of the Reno Zombie Crawl, Leprechaun Crawl and other super-fun events.
Remember when you knew everyone on the crawl? These “boutique crawls” will give us a chance to put on some new events with themes we haven’t tried before, and hopefully capture the fun of the small crawls we put on before the events gained the popularity they have now.
- Smaller Events: We’re limiting these crawls to just 500 participants and limiting the number of bars. We want to recapture the feeling of the old days!
- More Costumes: We’re really pushing the costume element on these crawls.
- Premium Specials: We still have $3 drink specials, for those who want quantity, but we’ve also got specials on drinks you usually might avoid because of the higher price tag.
- Start Time: 8pm Sat, July 19th
- Start Location: 1864 Tavern on California Ave
- To Participate: Get your $10 premium mug now at Junkee or on event night at 1864